Sunday, February 15, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day!

So, another LOVE day has come...and gone with not much fanfare in my life (nothing new). The only Valentine's Day that I actually had a guy was in high school, which is actually a really exciting time to have a Valentine. However, I waited all day long for some sort of token of his "love" (we were so far from in love that it was kinda funny) and the whole day flew by without even a single chocolate kiss. As we were leaving the school, one of his football buddies yelled down the hall: "Dude! Where are your girl's flowers?" I just wanted to die. Now everyone knew what a loser I was dating. I don't even think he replied. Later that night, he showed up at my house with flowers...let me rephrase that. He had stopped at Paul's grocery store, found the smallest, most wilted yellow roses, shelled out $5.95 (I know because he classically left the price tag on them) and brought them to me. I was so angry that I told him that if he felt obligated and/or had to be reminded to buy me flowers that he shouldn't even bother. I didn't take them and made him leave. We broke up the next day. (Just so I don't sound like a total brat, let me explain. There were other reasons I dumped him besides not spoiling me on Vday. He was a tool - I'll just leave it at that!)


So, the moral of this story is that you don't need "love" to have a good Valentine's Day! Because even if you do have a boyfriend, it can still royally suck. A lot of people I know complain that this is just a Hallmark holiday and that you shouldn't show your love only one day a year. I agree with both (the second more than the first), but still really like this holiday. I have so many people I love. I am so blessed! I have the best family and fantastic friends. This year, I even had a secret Valentine who left me treats for four days. Whoever it was remained anonymous, but it totally made my whole week. So, thanks to whoever it was!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay, so you are probably thinking that I am stalking you today, but I am not. I guess it's just a Cali day for me, but I LOVE your music. I forgot that you had such great taste in music. When I opened up your web page I kept it open for awhile just to listen to your music and read your cool posts. Your awesome Cali!

Luana said...

A rose by any other name would still wilt! :-)

Shannon said...

Miss Cali! You are awesome and such a great friend to me. I love ya!

Benilynn said...

Cali,

I love the music and pics on your blog! I have to agree that Valentines day isn't just a romantic holiday, nor is it an excuse to one day a year to tell all that are dear to you that you love them. Whoever your sweet valentine is, is so thoughtful and crafty...wish that i could take the credit...but we know its not me by looking at the cuteness of it. Love you Cali- you are a forever friend, and I am glad you are in my life!