Thursday, November 5, 2009

Ree Drummond - THE Pioneer Woman

The other day, my good pal Jennifer texted (funny how that's a verb now, huh?) to see if I wanted to meet The Pioneer Woman who was going to be in Salt Lake for a book signing of her new cookbook. I have to admit that, at that point in my life, I wasn't an avid follower of hers, but I certainly am now! I had seen her blog a few times. Mostly at work when I was super bored and in dire need of some good entertainment. Good entertainment is definitely something to be found from this amazing woman. I won't go into much detail because you can visit her website (which I highly recommend) but just know that I now have a new hero. Here's why:

  • Ree loves to cook and is really, really good at it - I hope to be good one day to0
  • Ree loves photography - that's actually the #1 reason I love her - she's good at that too

  • Ree loves being a mom - I will love being a mom one day too

  • Ree is a sweet, positive woman - I hope to be like that too...one day

  • Ree shares the things she loves with the whole world. She teaches her recipes and photography in easy-to-understand steps with very in-depth instructions and includes many, many pictures so you can't lose your way. Sure, now she makes a lot of money sharing her life and loves with the world but, in my opinion, she should. She has a lot to offer.
  • Ree is very, very genuine - here's how I know:

Jen and I waited 4.5 hours just to meet this super cool lady. (We didn't just wait, we cruised around SLC - at one point, ending up at a gay coffee house - yikes!). There were hundreds of people there to meet her. We were near the end of the line, but when we finally made it up to meet Ree, you would have thought we were the very first people she had talked to that day. She was so sweet and gracious and just seemed excited to be there meeting us. It was great. (Of course, I'd be pretty stoked if people stood in line for hours just to meet me!) I'm sure she was exhausted, but I was very impressed with how cool she was.

Oh geez. It totally looks like I'm hanging on her. I promise I'm not! I crouched down then she leaned over. I promise I'm not creepy!

Jen took her cookies from Great Harvest and Ree was super cute about it. Jen's adorable.

So, now that I have her cookbook I have to start practicing! Thanks Jen for re-introducing me to Ree!

2 comments:

Luana said...

I love her blog, especially her wit and humor. I have tried a couple of her recipes. They were yummy. That is cool that you got to meet her.

Jennifer said...

What a fun memory!! There is no one I'd rather spend 4.5 hours waiting to talk to PW than with you, Cali. xo