Sunday, January 31, 2010

When Life Throws You Limes...

I went to Walmart Saturday for some much-needed items. I'm not such a big fan of Wally World on the average day, but it's a thousand times worse on a Saturday. However, it is a necessary evil, so away I went. I parked my car in the closest spot - about 400 miles away from the entrance and booked it across the parking lot to get out of the lovely January weather. It was exactly what I'd expected: people crammed on every aisle, kids running amuck, babies crying. Definitely not my idea of a good time. I put my head down and scrambled to get my list done and survived to make it to the check-out line where I waited for a good 15 minutes, no joke. Thank goodness for magazines. After a few more minutes and throwing a few more elbows, I finally made it out the doors, across the parking lot and back to the sanctuary of my car. I unloaded my cart and literally breathed a sigh of relief when I put the last bag in the trunk. As I grabbed the cart to put it in the holding area, I noticed a lowly little lime hanging out all by itself at the bottom. What the crud? Seriously??? I grabbed my receipt hoping that I had paid for it and that it had just fallen out of a bag. No such luck. So, now I faced a serious moral dilemma. How much would Sam Walton miss one little tiny lime? Is stealing something worth less than $1 considered shop-lifting? Is it worth my sanity to have to go back into that crazy place? Is it worth my eternal salvation not to?

So, since it is important to me to be completely honest - even in the little things, I trodded back into the store, waited in the forever-long line once again and paid for the dumb little lime. Guess how much it was??? 12 cents. TUH-WELVE measly pennies. And, guess who didn't have any cash? So, yes, I charged 12 cents to my debit card. Geez. What a day.

So, my question is this: Is it really being honest if I do it super grudingly with a really bad attitude? However, I do have to say that I enjoyed the dip immensely and the lime was a really big part of that.

3 comments:

Nikki said...

HA HA - I love your Wal-Mart description...I totally agree with you!!! I try to avoid it like a nasty plague...I'm definitely a real early morning Wal-Mart shopper. Way to do the good thing and charge 12 cents to your card...you'll be blessed! :)

Luana said...

I would have just taken the lime home without going back in. There have been several times I have taken a loss because of mistakes on my receipt that were not worth going back to the store for.

Benilynn said...

Cali Your too good! And Ben piped in, and I will agree with too funny!! We love you, and Love reading your blogs!