So, today marks the 10th anniversary of probably the worst day in America (at least in recent history). It's definitely a time to count my blessings of health and life and amazing family and friends. Also, I am so thankful to be an American. This is the greatest country and I am so blessed to get to live here. Yeah, the future (leadership, economy, etc) is a little scary, but I have to trust that it will all work out.
On Friday, as I was driving home from work, a song came on the radio. It's a 9/11 tribute song and it's so great.
Grab a Kleenex:
Sad, huh? I pulled into the Walmart parking lot right as the song was ending. I had to sit in my car for 10 minutes just to stop crying and settle down enough to go into the store. Then, on Saturday, I was driving all around doing home photos and listening to the radio. This song came on 3 times throughout the day and I sobbed each time.
So, there has been so much talk the past couple of days about the events of 9/11 and where everyone was and how they found out and reacted to it. I flew through New York on the way home from my mission at the end of August of 2011. I remember looking out the window of the airport at the city to see any recognizable landmarks because I had never been to NYC before (I still haven't been...I need to go!) Literally, the only buildings I recognized were the Twin Towers (and The Empire State Building, of course). So sad that just about 3 weeks later, the terrorist attack would happen.
I was living with my parents on 9/11 and had taken work off to attend the funeral of a great lady from their ward who had died of cancer. My parents didn't have cable for a lot of years (now that they're empty nesters, though,they have 2 huge flat screens and all the cable you can handle - rude!) So, I got to the Sun Valley church mid-morning and my dad met me in the hall and asked how I was handling everything.
I thought he meant the funeral, so I told him that I was sad, but that I knew she was in a better place. He said, "Oh, you don't know." Then he proceeded to tell me all about the events of the morning. I was so shocked! It was such a tragic event and I pray for the families and loved ones of the victims of that awful day.
This is, hands down, the best picture I've seen of New York...ever.
I stole this picture from here.

No comments:
Post a Comment