Thursday, December 2, 2010

Up In The Night

Last night, I went to bed about 10:30 which is pretty normal for me. What isn't normal is that I woke up about 12:30 a.m. and - here's the funny part - I was standing at my bedroom door, my left hand pressing against the door jam and the door (like I was holding the door shut) and my right hand was gripping the handle with my thumb on the lock. I seriously woke up like this. It took me a minute to wake up enough and realize that there was no threat of anyone trying to break into my room. I remember thinking "Ok, I guess I might as well get back into bed."


I think that I heard my roommates come home and was having a crazy dream that I was in danger so I played defense and blocked my bedroom door to prevent attack. The best part was that it took me awhile to wake up and figure out what was going on, then climb back in bed. When I woke up in the morning and remembered what happened, I noticed that my room was really messy and that I had to step over a lot of clutter/debris (think Hoarders) to even make it to the door. Apparently, I'm super coordinated in my sleep!

This was not the first time I have sleep-walked (is that how you say it?). When I was a sophomore in college, I lived in Provo and shared a room with my awesome friend Rachel - and we had a bunk bed. I started the year on the top bunk, but that didn't last very long. One night, I tried to climb off the top bunk while I was still asleep and ended up falling off and landing on a shelf that held VHS tapes. Not only was I incedibly embarrassed, but I was pretty hurt. So much, in fact, that Rachel (bless her heart) took me to the ER. We went to UVRMC (huge mistake) and waited for like 4 hours for the stupid doctor to even see me. I cried the whole time and sweet Rachel stuck with me. A sign of a great friend is someone who will wait in the ER all night with you. When we finally got to see a person with an actual medical degree, they took x-rays and found out that I had in fact NOT broken my pelvis (I totally thought I had not really paying attention to the fact that I was still able to walk) but that I had just bruised my butt really bad. So embarrassing and really hard to sit for the following few days. I was quickly moved to the bottom bunk and haven't slept more than a couple feet off of the floor since.


And, one other time, when I was still a sophomore and still roommates with Rachel, I had a dream that our bunk bed was in the middle of a dark, foggy street and a car was coming that didn't have its lights on. I jumped out of bed and started yelling at Rachel to get up! I was so worried that she was going to get hit by a car! I woke up because Rachel was yelling at the top of her lungs at me. I said, "Rachel, why are you yelling at me?" and she said, "Cali, look at yourself." That's when I remembered the (really stupid) dream and the car and the fog. Again, pretty embarrassing. (And, yes, Rachel is still a very close friend, despite all my crazy antics). I'm sure she was super annoyed that I, again, had woken her up for no reason, but she was mostly scared that I would leave the bedroom and fall down the 14 stairs that were pretty much right outside of our door. She didn't want to spend another night in the ER.


I'm not really sure what triggers my sleep-walking tendencies but I really hope that I don't do something really crazy or dangerous to myself or others. My roommates have been warned and I'm pretty sure they now lock their bedroom doors when they go to bed - or just maybe when I do.

No comments: